Monday, August 15, 2005

creep

And I am not talking about the amazing Radiohead song.

What I am talking about is how I feel right now. So, Kristin and I were watching Be Cool last night. I really only enjoy it because of Vince Vaughn's character, the rest of the movie is ok. However, by the end of the movie I can tell something is on Kristin's mind. So, I ask, "what's on your mind?" And she say's, (are you ready guys), "Well, why is it that Christian females are to dress modestly, when Christian males watch movies that have girls with barely any clothes on?" All I could say is that she had a good point all the while wanting to hide under the rock I deserve to be under.

So I ask you Christian guys, this same question; why is it that Christian females are to dress modestly, when Christian males watch movies that have girls with barely any clothes on? Are we not disrespecting our fellow sisters in Christ that actually make the effort to help us by dressing modestly? Are we negating all of our words of appreciation and praise we give them when we watch what is so accepted as standard?

I actually tried to use the excuse that it is unaviodable. We are going to run into it one way or the other. I am such a creep. I brag about how much of a blessing it is that my girlfriend actually cares about modesty, but yet will practically spit in her face by watching movies that promote just the opposite. But, I am thankful that I have someone that will help me see the other side of the fight.

Christan Women, I ask for your help. What are ways that you see that we men can fix the double mindedness that is most of the time not even seen? What is it that we can do to stop saying one thing and doing another? I know that the most obvious answer is to stop watching the movies that contain this material, but is it really that simple when it is so prevalent in our culture? Even PG-13 movies may contain some form of it. How can we encourage you to continue in the fight for modesty?

Christian Men, I ask for your effort. How are we to keep each other accountable in this? What needs to be done to fix this dichotomy? Is this not an issue that has gone on for far to long? When are we going to be the leaders in our community and stop ourselves from tearing down our sisters in Christ?

7 comments:

Kristin said...

www.screenit.com

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

Hmm good point...I can't really come up with an answer to that as she is right. I'm sure it coudl be dscussed etc, but it would not be a winning argument. So yeah maybe there are more things to do as Christian Men to stop this cycle. The first is looking at outside of our normal eyes, ya knwo the ones with the rose coloered glasses where its all ok.

Nick Nye said...

well...maybe we shouldn't watch these movies?

Jeremy Perrine said...

Well, I recognize that we shouldn't watch these types of movies anymore. That's obvious. Neither am I saying there is an argument. She is completely right with out a contest.

Here's what I should have said:
As Christian men, how do we start to let our community understand this point?

Lorie said...

I think the key here is how much we are willing to "sacrifice". Because the truth is, if we are to rule out movies that have inappropriate dress (or lack thereof)/language/sexual content/etc., we will pretty much be giving up movies in general. And we're so used to drawing distinctions. I think this would be most difficult for those who consider themselves film afficionados. So it's a challenge, but worth it?

Jeremy Perrine said...

J,
I actually am where you are at on this as well. I view movies based on it's setting, it's message, and intent.
If a movie shows a scandalously dressed girl, I ask whether it is appropiate to the setting, character, and intent of the movie.
Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that, while movies can be properly placed in a cultural setting, they still promote the 'acceptableness' of certain dress, language, and actions.
It then still remains to be asked; Do we need to be watching these movies?